Bose Mini Soundlink II – empty battery fix

By | November 3, 2017

EDIT 2: Another thing to try is to let the battery run out completely. Then it seems it’ll recharge properly.  You can drain the battery a lot faster by turning the volume up.  It’ll show the red charging light for a while until it turns itself off, then put it on the charger.

EDIT: BOSE has removed the previous version of the software from their page.

To reset it, which seems to work in some cases;

• Plug the speaker into power.
  • Hold the mute/multi-function button down for 10 seconds (lights will flash).
  • Unplug the power cord, then let go of the button.
  • Give it a second, then plug it back in to power.
  • If that fixed it, good.
    • If not, go to the updater site and apply the same version of the update as you already have.

The Bose Soundlink Mini II, one of the best bang-for-the-buck purchases I’ve ever made (along with the Dyson V8 Absolute) finally started to show its age.

I got the dreaded charging warning!
The battery should last far longer than a year, so my issue was likely with the firmware. It was the latest version, so I had to experiment.

What ultimately seemed to fix the charging issue was to downgrade the firmware, reset and reboot the Mini, then upgrade the firmware again!

Here’s how;

1, Connect to http://btu.bose.com
You might have to download the little updater software which will then prompt you to connect the speaker.

2, Once your speaker is connected and it shows you what firmware you have installed, and eventual updates, press the following keys in sequence on the keyboard
[a] , [d] , [v] , [up arrow] , [down arrow].

This will unlock the “advanced menu” which allows you to downgrade your firmware.

Downgrade firmware

At this point, try to charge the speaker fully overnight and see if that worked.

This worked for me. Once the speaker was charged, I updated to the latest firmware again and it’s been good ever since.
If it does NOT work, then update the firmware to the latest version and try again and that should do the trick.

14 thoughts on “Bose Mini Soundlink II – empty battery fix

1. soe

now I downgraded and tried to re set and re boot but I did not see ant light on it , also now I,m charging the mini , still do not see any light on it. Is it normal or not?

2. Al

Hello i’d like to request for an assistance on fixing my SLM 2. I had executed the above mentioned steps but i got stuck during pressing a,d,v, arrow up and down. After pressing, it seems like there is no drop down menu for me to select the firmware version. It just shows off the advance menu and system info.

Got my bose approximately 4 months wen it enters in this state.

Thank you.

1. reverend

What software version does it show? It should give you an option to update yours if it’s not already updated. It’s been a while since I did this so I don’t remember – did you have to click on the “Advanced” button for it to give you the update/downgrade options?

3. Jayakrishnan KR

I did this and got the issue resolved for a week. But now I have to do this every now and then to keep the speaker working. Is there any permanent fix for this?

1. reverend

Mine hasn’t done it since. Do you keep your speaker fully charged or run it really low all the time? What if you try to charge it every night or so and see if it stays alive longer?

4. Mike

Totally works…woke up this morning and speaker was dead. Reverted back to older firmware took five mins once connected. At this stage it seemed to reboot and started charging with usual beeps. I then waited til 20% and reverted back to latest. Once complete I switched to charging via usb cable plug via docking station. Works a treat.

5. jy

Fixed! thanks for this post! Yes the old firmware wasn’t there but I just hit install on the current firmware and after a few minutes the speaker rebooted and is now charging. 🙏

6. Richee

there’s no downgrade option in the advance option sir. I can see only the 1.4 version. when I click the down arrow for that menu it doesn’t show the 1.3 version. why? please help me.

1. reverend

See the first link in the post. It seems Bose was afraid off issues that would arise from people downgrading the software so they removed the downgrade option.
      You should be able to reapply the most recent update, or do the reset procedure, or just let the battery drain until it shuts off and then recharge it.

7. Julian Maurice

Hi, I must be having a dumb moment, but can someone please explain what the A,D,V keys are? Are you referring to keys on my PC keyboard, or are the keys on the Bose unit?

I have been trying to open the advanced features menu on the updater, but I’m stuck at this point.

Thanks for any help.

1. reverend

Hi there. Yes, it’s the keys on your keyboard on the computer. Bose did remove the downgrade firmware option (see the first link in the post) so you can either try a reset or let the battery drain to where it shuts itself off and then stick it on the charger.

8. Roberto

Hello, is the version 1.1.3 still available? I can’t see it and can’t fix the red light issue blinking on my bose.

1. reverend

Hi Roberto. No, Bose removed that (see the first link in the post) due to their fear or issues arising from people downgrading.
      You can try either the reset process or let the battery die completely and then charge it. That seems to work for me.